How to Decide if TOU is Right for You
You have options and every home is unique.
We’ve outlined the steps below to help you determine which rate plan is best for your lifestyle.
Save on Your Electric Bill
Most customers will save on a TOU rate plan without changing any of their habits. However, further shifting your energy use to before 4:00 p.m. and after 9:00 p.m., when the electric grid is the cleanest and cheapest, can help reduce your energy bill even more.
Use less energy during peak periods by:
- Turning off all but essential lighting
- Pre-cooling your home outside of peak hours
- Setting the thermostat for your air conditioner at a higher temperature when it is running
- Using timers to run appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and ovens during off-peak hours
- Charging electronics through the night
Try It Risk-Free with Bill Protection
Customers can try the E-TOU-C rate plan for the first 12 months with automatic bill protection. If your first year of service ends up being more expensive than your previous non-TOU rate plan, we will credit you the difference at the end of the 12-month period. PG&E will similarly credit you for any “extra” charges on the PG&E portion of your bill after 12 months.
Customers can also decline to participate in the transition and remain on a non-TOU rate plan or choose another rate plan. To view a rate comparison, visit www.pge.com/TOUchoice or call or PG&E at 1-866-743-7945.