Save on Your Electric Bill
Most customers will save on a TOU rate plan without changing any of their habits. However, further shifting your energy use to before 4:00 p.m. and after 9:00 p.m., when the electric grid is the cleanest and cheapest, can help reduce your energy bill even more.
Use less energy during peak periods by:
- Turning off all but essential lighting
- Pre-cooling your home outside of peak hours
- Setting the thermostat for your air conditioner at a higher temperature when it is running
- Using timers to run appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and ovens during off-peak hours
- Charging electronics through the night
Customers were offered one year of free bill protection when they were transferred over to E-TOU-C rates in June 2021. Customers will receive a credit from SJCE and PG&E if their first year of TOU service ended up being more expensive than their previous rate plan. Bill protection was offered so customers could try TOU risk-free, which helps make the California grid cleaner and more reliable. Bill protection will end in June 2022. You will see this credit on your July or August bill, depending on your billing cycle.
If you did not save money on E-TOU-C, consider shifting your energy use to off peak hours to find savings. If that isn’t feasible for your household, then you can run a personalized rate comparison in your PG&E account or by calling PG&E at 1-866-743-7945. You can change your rate plan up to two times per year.